Be Aware of These Common Poisons

According to the Pet Poison Hotline, thousands of dogs and cats suffer from accidental ingestion of household poisons each year. Our pets can get into anything in our homes, so it’s important to know which items are particularly dangerous and need to be kept out of reach ~ possibly out of the home altogether!

Symptoms of of poisoning can vary greatly, but one thing remains the same: the Dog that had eating something toxicfaster your pet gets treated, the more likely they'll have a positive outcome! Some common symptoms of poisoning include GI signs like vomitting, diarrhea, and drooling. Some pets might have internal bleeding which is evidenced by seeing them cough or vomit up blood, showing pale gums, or being lethargic.

If you think your dog or cat has been poisoned, call your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline® at 855-764-7661 for immediate assistance! 

Below is a list of some of the most common foods known to be dangerous to dogs & cats. This list is published by The Humane Society of the United States and is not meant to be exhaustive:

  • Alcoholic beverages 
  • Apple seeds 
  • Apricot pits 
  • Avocados
  • Cherry pits
  • Candy (particularly chocolate—which is toxic to dogs, cats, andcommon poisons for dogs and cats ferrets—and any candy containing the toxic sweetener Xylitol) 
  • Chives
  • Coffee (grounds, beans, and chocolate-covered espresso beans)
  • Garlic (safe in small quantities)
  • Grapes 
  • Gum (can cause blockages and sugar-free gums may contain the toxic sweetener Xylitol)
  • Hops (used in home beer brewing) 
  • Macadamia nuts 
  • Moldy foods 
  • Mushroom plants 
  • Mustard seeds                       
  • Onions, onion powder and onion flakes 
  • Peach pits 
  • Potato leaves and stems (green parts) 
  • Raisins 
  • Rhubarb leaves 
  • Salt 
  • Tea (because it contains caffeine) 
  • Tomato leaves and stems (green parts) 
  • Walnuts 
  • Xylitol (artificial sweetener that is toxic to pets)
  • Yeast dough

Many common plants and flowers can be toxic to our pets if ingested, causing range of symptoms from mild gastrointestinal upset to life-threatening conditions. Toxicity differs from poisonous, though. Toxic plants cat surrounded by toxic plantsand flowers might adversely affect your pet even when not ingested! Merely encountering part of the plant might cause skin or respiratory problems.

For a list of some of the most frequently encountered toxic plants, check out this article.


Next article Vegetarian Pet Diets

Leave a comment

Comments must be approved before appearing

* Required fields