Thanksgiving Recipes for Your Pets
It’s that time of year when we gather around dinner tables to enjoy a holiday meal and to give thanks for all our blessings. Certainly our pets are among these, offering us comfort and unconditional love throughout the year.
Primal Pet Foods has created recipes using wholesome, fresh ingredients, so your furry friends can enjoy pet-friendly versions of your favorite holiday sides and desserts. (The following recipes are shared with permission of Primal Pet Foods.)
HOLIDAY “STUFFING” FOR DOGS AND CATS
When it comes to sides for your holiday feast, you can’t leave out the stuffing! Piled high alongside the turkey, mashed potatoes, and green bean casserole, this side dish has become an iconic staple for any plate. By using fresh, wholesome ingredients, it can also be a staple for your pet around the holidays!
- 1 cup Primal Raw Toppers (Butcher’s Blend or Market Mix)
- 4 oz Primal Bone Broth
- ¼ cup Shredded Raw Kale
- ¼ cup Minced Raw Celery
1. Combine Raw Toppers, kale, and celery in a bowl and mix.
2. Once ingredients are evenly combined, transfer from the bowl to a seasonal baking dish. (Remember, don’t cook raw pet food—the baking dish is just for presentation!)
3. Top with Primal Bone Broth for a boost of hydration and flavor, then serve.
HOLIDAY “ICE CREAM SCOOPS” FOR YOUR PET
There’s nothing better than a slice of apple pie fresh out of the oven, topped with your favorite ice cream. Using Primal Raw Goat Milk, your pet can also enjoy a scoop of “ice cream” for their meal “á la mode” during the holidays!
1. Evenly pour Primal Raw Goat Milk into a spherical ice cube mold or dome-shaped silicone ice cube tray to mimic scoops of ice cream.
2. Freeze until hard.
3. Once frozen, your dog or cat can enjoy the frozen treat as-is for an after-dinner dessert, or you can add it to your pet’s food for an “á la mode” meal! These Goat Milk cubes will melt so it’s recommended to serve them in a bowl or outside to reduce mess!
PET-FRIENDLY HOLIDAY PIE
Pumpkin pie can be the centerpiece of many different holiday meals, including both Thanksgiving and Christmas. When the meal is over and the pies are filling the kitchen with the smell of cinnamon and nutmeg, don’t let your dog or cat feel left out! This Pet-Friendly Holiday Pie perfectly mimics a traditional pumpkin or sweet potato pie, but with all the easy digestion and nutritional benefits of Primal foods.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooling Time: 2 hours
- 10 Primal Frozen Nuggets (any flavor), thawed
- 16 oz Primal Edible Elixir Winter Squash Pureé
- 4 oz Primal Goat Milk
- 1 Tbsp raw honey (optional)
1. Using a fork, mash or mix the Primal nuggets into a pie pan, pushing against the sides and forming a crust.
2. Let pan and crust rest in refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
3. Blend together Winter Squash Pureé, Primal Goat Milk, and raw honey.
4. Pour mixture into pie crust, making sure it distributes evenly.
5. Store for 2 hours in the freezer to allow to firm up.
*optional: add crumbled freeze dried or grass fed gelatin for a firmer pie filling
As you sit down to a delicious holiday meal, we hope you try one of these recipes so your pets can have a taste of the season while enjoying all of the benefits of wholesome, fresh pet food.